Friday, March 4, 2011

Ghana Talk

I just realized that I sometimes enjoy throwing a word or two of Ghanaian pidgin English into my long rants about nothing :). So I've decided to try to compile a little glossary of terms to which I will link whenever I catch myself using one of those very fun words or phrases. Ghana peeps reading this, please share your thoughts if you see/read me going waaay off. I will be updating this blog continuously for as long as I continue to use pidgin words in my posts. Here goes:

Capa: Energy, strength e.g. The boy has capa.
Padi: Friend
Padi-padi: Friendly
Game Gbee: Literally translates to game dog. Used to describe someone who has an insatiable appetite for video games.
Nonfa: nonsense, rubbish e.g. stop talking nonfa i.e stop speaking rubbish.

1 comment:

  1. Hong: Hungry e.g. I dey hong bad!

    Jiga/I make wild: Determined e.g. the padi jiga oh/the padi make wild oh

    Dufu: Beaten up e.g. Azumah dufu Gomez waa!/Dem dufu Joshua Clottey waa, next time he no go chop banku and okro soup and kanwe before fight!

    Biz: To pay attention to, or to speak to. e.g. I no dey biz you/ den I dey biz you say...

    ReplyDelete