Saturday, March 5, 2011

Tasty? Yes. Tears? No.

Today I was made to visit a tiny doughnut emporium in the LES. The main 'buying area' was no larger than 11' by 11', and I kept expecting Willy Woka or the White Rabbit to show up and lead us through the out of place metal door in the room, down a passage-way, and into some fantastical inner world where doughnuts were a mode of transportation and chocolate glaze run through the standpipes.

Though Willy Wonka or the White Rabbit never showed, it was still somewhat of an adventure mainly because I had never (and would never have done so voluntarily!) stood in a half-a-city-block long line for 15 minutes to get some doughnuts. The thought was, and still is a little nuts to me... I was assured that I would understand the reason for the long line once I tasted the doughnuts and cried tears of pure pleasure as a result....ummm....I'm still waiting for the tears.

I will say this though: the doughnuts are pretty damn good. I especially like the chocolate cake and triple chocolate doughnuts (oooh and the carrot cake doughnut too!). They're definitely worth trying at least once, if only to be able to say "I've had those!" when you read about the The Doughnut Plant in the NY Times. I'm however still pretty sure that I would never voluntarily get in that long a line to purchase them...it's just a matter of principle.

Ok, i'm going to finish my orange glazed doughnut with milk and then see what St. Patty is doing in Hoboken!

**UPDATE**:

There is apparently another Doughnut Plant location at the Chelsea Hotel, right on 23rd and 7th.

No comments:

Post a Comment