Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I know what I did last summer

Leaving the Fish Town dock
At some point during the past weekend, weather.com reported 57 degree weather... and it actually felt like 57 degrees outside. That was nice of them.


The weather reminded me of a blog I had hoped to write last summer about a pretty awesome backcountry camping experience I had (thank you Joanne!).

I spent four awesome days on North Manitou Island in Michigan with my girl friend Joanne. North Manitou is an island located in lake Michigan, about 1.5 hours by boat from the Fish Town Dock in Leland, MI (see below). Our journey started way out in Ann Arbor (approx. 5 hours away). We hit the road early on a Sunday morning, and were on a boat in Leland by 11am, ready to go cross Lake Michigan to North Manitou.

As you approach North Manitou, your begin to realize just how secluded you're going to be...it's awesome! The island is pretty huge if you try to hike the coastline-- approx. 21 miles of sand, rock, and dead birds. And with the exception of the 27 acres surrounding the ranger's village, there's no running water, formal camping grounds, or bathroom facilities anywhere on the island. We came prepared with a collapsible bucket, hand trowel and water filter...and out 40-50lb hiking packs.



View Larger Map


Approaching North Manitou

Once on the island (along with about 40 other people), we had a 30 minute chat/Q&A with the park ranger, and we were free to do whatever we wanted to do in the "wilderness" for the next 4 days... talk about feeling of absolute freedom. Oh, I forgot to mention that the boat that brought us only docked once a day. In the event that there was stormy weather, the boat would come the following day, so it's always advisable to bring extra food for about 2 days... just in case you're stranded. Anyway, we spent the rest of the day
hiking along the coast.
First night camp area
In the photo to the left, you can kind of see the coast turning to the north-east...that's where we came from. We camped to the left of where I was standing when I took this photo. We had dinner right by the water that night...the most peaceful period of my life ever! It was unbelievably SILENT. Except for the lapping of the water against the shore, and the wind, there wasn't any other sound! No honking, loud music, voices...nothing. It was so  great I was inspired to make  my version of the "Miles Away from Ordinary" video that Corona uses...I  just didn't have a Corona on me that day.
View from "dinner table"
 In the video below, you'll see Joanne relaxing and digesting her dinner, and right behind her, over the knoll, is where we camped for the night.





The rest of our time on North Manitou was pretty much the same as the first day-- warm and peaceful-- with a few exceptions. For example, we came came across several coyote tracks in the more remote areas of the southern part of the island. We also happened across some garter snakes, chipmunks, and saw a Piping Plover nest. I'm pretty sure I saw a piping plover too, but I never got a picture. I'll update this post in the future with a link to select photos from my trip to North Manitou.

Now I'd like to give some tips to anyone who is planning on visiting the island:
  • Arrive in Leland at the fish town dock before 9am in order to pay your camping fees, get your ticket for the boat ride, your parking pass and your maps.
  • Make sure to pack some REALLY STRONG mosquito repellent.
  • Bring along a reliable water filtration system, and remember to ALWAYS fill up your water bottle(s) whenever you're leaving the coast. The maps you pick up from the ranger station and at the Fish Town dock may show inland water bodies that may not exist during your visit. Also, if possible, have an emergency water bottle always full.
  • DON'T try to get apples from the various orchids on the island.... they're poison ivy traps.
  • DON'T t get caught camping too close to the water. Read up on the rules of how close you can camp to the water, or risk getting a hefty fine.
  • Learn everything you can about poison ivy (i.e. all the forms it takes, where it's most likely to be, and how to treat it). We were lucky not to have had an encounter with poison ivy, but it's all over the island.
  •  PLAN your route carefully, but don't rush through the island...it's a beautiful place.
Please let me know if you have any questions about my experience, and I'll be more than happy to share what I remember.

**UPDATE**:
Here is a link to select photos from my trip to North Manitou Island. Please share your though


No comments:

Post a Comment