Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Ridiculous...

After this weekend's doughnut fiesta, I unfortunately fell woefully ill... no thanks to the filthy NYC subway system (which I might explore in some detail at a later date). The stupid yo-yoing weather couldn't have helped much either...It got so bad on Monday that I had to take a sick day.

Tuesday morning is here and I still fell like crap, so the question is: am I taking another sick day? Nooo! Of course not! Because I only have one sick day a month, and I happen to have already used up my stockpile from last year (and it's really not that easy to take them in advance). So, I have to come in to work. Now, I don't have a problem with work, but I think it's ridiculous that such a thing as sick days are "rationed". I know, some smarty-pants is probably already formulating an argument for why certain organizations have sick days-- and that's great and all, but I still think it's nuts to penalize people for being sick longer than their 12 day allotted sickness allowance.

See, now that I have to come in to work, chances are that every door knob, key board, mouse and phone I touch will be infected with sickness juice...and trust me, I touch a lot of those things. I'll leave the repercussion of this to be discerned by y'all.

What would I see done in place of this 1 day a month system? Nothing that isn't already being done by other organizations: let people take as much time as they need to get better for crying out loud! I think it's kinda logical to expect a healthy person to be more effective and efficient than a sick one...not to mention that a healthy person won't potentially send a whole department home on sick leave.

Ok, I'm going to finish a cup of blisteringly hot oatmeal, and chug a gallon of water and see what happens. Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment